2013 is a new year full of new opportunities, and the Glee on FOX promotions department has taken advantage of this, and the hiatus, to issue a series of scrapbook-style cards. We were particularly interested in these two, promoting the journeys of two prominent Glee couples (click for full-sized images):
Spot the differences? We did.
- It was upsetting seeing Kurt once again bullied for his sexuality, even if only in Artie’s fever dream.
- We thought that this would be the episode where we would hear a good deal more about Kurt’s point of view regarding his relationship with Blaine. But the promised “heart to heart” has yet to take place. Despite that, Blaine comes to NY to see Kurt, at Burt’s invitation. Kurt as a character needs to have more agency in his life, and to be able to express himself.
- Santana continues to be erased from the narrative while her bisexual ex is allowed to date and even marry (at least in intent) a male – something Santana and Brittany would not be able to do. Brittany seems to have forgotten she even ever dated, let alone loved Santana – even when she thought she only had four days to live she did not mention Santana once.
Duration of Most Recent Official Relationship:
- Klaine: 33 episodes
- Finchel: 27 episodes
- Wemma: 26 episodes
- Brittana: 23 episodes
Number of Kisses Within Relationship:
- Klaine: 5
- Finchel: 42
- Wemma: 14
- Brittana: 5
+ Kisses Not On the Lips:
• Klaine: 0
• Finchel: 7 (5 on cheek, 2 on forehead)
• Wemma: 9 (6 on cheek, 1 on shoulder, 1 on forehead, 1 on hand)
• Brittana: 3 (2 on cheek, 1 on hand)
= In Total:
• Klaine: 5
• Finchel: 49
• Wemma: 23
• Brittana: 8
Longest Wait Time Between Kisses:
- Klaine: 20 episodes (shortest: 10 episodes)
- Finchel: 3 episodes (shortest: 0 episodes)
- Wemma: 6 episodes (shortest: 1 episode)
- Brittana: 8 episodes (shortest: 4 episodes)
- The inclusion of a likely trans* character in the choir room.
- It was shown as wrong for the characters to tell Wade/Unique to conform in the name of retaining status/popularity.
- Wade/Unique was shown agreeing with Sugar that Jake is sexy. They didn’t desexualise the trans* character nor did they depict hir sexuality as threatening. Achievement!
- Glee continues to highlight a loving father supportive of his gay son’s dreams and ‘difference’ in the form of Burt Hummel. The difficulties of small town life for LGBTQ teens was referenced in his conversation with Kurt.
Only one week to go until Glee opens for its highly anticipated fourth season. One week until we see what FOX and RIB have learned over the summer.
We at GEP have been a bit more quiet recently, because it’s time to wait and see.
Time to see if FOX has heard us. Time to see whether Glee will once again live up to its promise. Time to see if Kurt, Santana, Blaine and Brittany will be given the same or similar treatment to their “straight” counterparts. We have added Unique to our campaign efforts due to hir foreshadowed and promoted inclusion in Season 4’s choir room.
the “who’s more oppressed by Glee game” is actually the worst thing ever and people need to not go there
the marginalization of mike and tina does not erase the marginalization of brittany and santana’s relationship
they exist at the same time and they’re both equally shitty
but criticizing people for focusing on one of those things more is such bullshit when you should be criticizing the show for doing those things